Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dark Spots

Rainy. It's rainy out. I have an hour's drive and the Kiss CD I've been listening to for the last 8 days won't cut it. It's too exuberant, somehow and not appropriate for this morning's commute. I need something more in keeping with the weather.

Jim Morrison. Yes.

I spent $50 on The Best of The Doors. 2-disc CD package. It rankles that I still don't have my favorite Doors song. Instead of genius, the powers that be put in "People Are Strange" instead...but it's an old irritant. iTunes, I remind myself as I nudge the CD into the slot. I could have "Backdoor Man" if I really wanted it. "Soul Kitchen," too, for that matter. Both of them are there, if only I thought to buy them more often than when I pull this CD out from the dregs.

When the Music's Over. It's the perfect anthem for a day that clearly signals the end of the summer, and fall's imminent arrival. The minimal, instantly recognizable intro that lasts a full minute before Jim croons into the microphone is fitting. Comforting.

I drive out into the night. It looks and feels exactly like it did 9 hours earlier when I came home.

No comments: